Monday, October 1, 2007

A Day in the Life

So if you are reading this you must be extremely bored at work!! If that is true, I'm happy to elaborate on the daily going-ons of a trainee in tanzania.

I wake up at like 5:40am 'cause none of the roosters can tell time and make tons and tons of proclomations of their manlyhood outside my window even though the sun is not up! I finally stagger out of my mosquito net at 6am for a quick morning bucket-bath and grab an egg and bread and some chai before walking to school with some classmates.

We greet everyone on the 20minute walk. Everyone. and people usually greet back since we stick out like sore thumbs. The kids are always weary since they haven't seen many white fold up close, but its cool, everyone is still nice. The eyes are always looking though.

School is all about learning the language with our absolutely amazing Mwelimu (teacher) Rehema. She is so patient, she let us play this game where we tell time in swahili (african time = six hours back. 10am = 4am) for like an hour and it must have been so boring for her! But she was totally patient. Anyhoo, we have chai breaks, and a woman comes to bring us food ($1.5/day) that is sooo good it dangerous, and then we study until about 4pm.

I return home to play with my little brother and procrastinate on studying and try to talk to all the tons of people that frequent the house. The children stare and laugh when I make mistakes, and the adults are so kind in teaching more of the language. We eat at 8pm and then I take another luxurious cold bucket bath, try to study swahili or chase the chickens in our yard, and finally drop to sleep at 10pm. Another beautiful day in Morogoro!

now get back to work before your boss catches you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilary,
I love your blog! Please keep on writing in it when you get a chance. I love the part about the chickens. Yes, I am at work. And yes, I should be working.
Sara

Unknown said...

Hilary,
I MISS YOU! I laughed out loud when I read the first part about how people reading your blog are probably bored at work (because yes, I am :-) ). Keep writing since I want to stay updated on your life in Africa (and also I love procrastinating at work).
Hope you're well!!
Much love,
Becca