Saturday, March 1, 2008

Moments I'm not likely to forget 3/1/08

There is just too much to tell and too little time, so I'm thinking a little list of moments from PC service will be an effective/entertaining (hopefully) way to tell people about how things are going. Questions welcome. Enjoy:

There are moments I'm not likely to forget, like when:
-I was invited over to a woman's house, only to find her cooking in the pitch black with a candle balanced on her head, while she nursed her baby. All at the same time! Multitasking is owned by women.
-I almost said "good ovening" to the cows that slept in one room of her house. I mean, everything looks the same in the pitch black!
-My students came to an extra class...all of them.
-My students actually handed in the homework
-My students did well on the homework
-We had a lab, they all showed up, followed directions, and asked questions...and hopefully learned something too
-I got lost hiking in the woods, and the path disappeared, and after 45min I stumbled into a lone house on the mountainside where the bibi (grandmother) welcomed me in, gave me a pineapple, and sent me on the way. She was like "Where did you come from?!?!"
-15 children accompanied me through town, all wanting to hold my hand. It was protection better than the secret service.
-I met The Oldest Woman In Tanzania (said to be 114 but prolly only 110-ish). Blind and bed ridden, she has a great sense of humor although, remembering who she's talking to?...not so much
-I got asked by my students if "flying solo" instead of having sex is ok. I mean....you got to do what you got to do....
-A mama came up to us with sun dried fish from the lake in a plastic back, pulled them out, and ordered us to eat them (which we did...like a candy bar....but not the eyes)
-I got a bike lifty (with my helmit on, Salome!) and watched a 7 year old with wood extensions on his feet to reach the petal drag at least 40 gallons of water up a hill. And then regretting every time in my life I have ever complained about doing a chore for my mother.
-I woke up with 39 bug bites on my face
-We ran into a herd of camels
-We got stuck in the middle of a lake in a boat that was leaking, and had to (shamefully) get toted back
-I was waiting for a dala and it took FOREVER (don't believe the locals when they say "right now", it means an hour and a half) and I ended up making the duka-owner sing "Missing my baby" while I played guitar.
-my new friend at the YMCA offered her one-year-old son to me in marriage (girl, I can't wait that long!)

That's it for now, more later! Peace

No comments: